Tide/tsunami interaction in the Columbia River

Discuss data, information, analysis, and modeling of tsunami
penetration along the Columbia River

Tide/tsunami interaction in the Columbia River

Postby etolkova on Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:09 pm

In what I see in my simulations, as I populated the river with tides, the height of the tsunami wave propagating up the river strongly depends on a phase of a tide the tsunami is riding (please see attached pdf).
For the discussions in Session 8 of the Agenda, any experts in wave/stream interaction? Thanks, Elena.
Attachments
beaver_highlow.pdf
(53.36 KiB) Downloaded 973 times
etolkova

Re: Tide/tsunami interaction in the Columbia River

Postby harry on Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:51 am

Thanks, Elena, for posting your preliminary results. Can you also post your results at Location 1 (at Skamokawa: (X, Y) = (381251, 292633)? The background flow 'speed' between the river mouth to Location 1 must be slower than that of between Locations 1 and Beaver (Location 2). So, the comparison may allow us to examine whether the tidal influence on the tsunami is due to its current or the depth.
The water depth is deeper during the high tide and shallower during the low tide. The opposing current during the ebb tide, and the following current during the flood tide. Of course, we use simplified (somewhat unrealistic) tidal conditions for our workshop, but this exercise could explore and identify the important elements for tsunami predictions along a huge river. What would be the critical tide for the worst case scenario?

Harry
harry

Re: Tide/tsunami interaction in the Columbia River

Postby etolkova on Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:24 am

Dear Harry, results at Skamokawa are attached. Same legend, as in my previous post.
I agree, that there is more than one culprit in tidal influence on the tsunami. Hope to check on some others in the remaining time. Elena
Attachments
skamokawa.png
Tsunamis at high/low tide at Skamokawa
skamokawa.png (15.96 KiB) Viewed 8577 times
etolkova

Return to Columbia River Tsunami Working Group