Wavemaker and modification for wave impact on structures

Issues and examples using this model (available in the Models Repository)

Wavemaker and modification for wave impact on structures

Postby yongqian on Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:37 am

Hello, Prof. Lynett and everyone
I'm a first-year Ph.D. student in Virginia Tech. I begin to use COULWAVE these days. I have two questions about COULWAVE.
Firstly, the COULWAVE seem not applicable to deal with case that waves impact vertical structures. The Userguide said that when the slope become very steep, the simulation may have some problems, and that is what I encountered when I put several cylinders in the domain and run a solitary wave impacting on them. Does anyone use COULWAVE to solve wave with structures in the domain, and how do you deal with such problem? I heard that increasing the bottom friction coefficient in the structure covered area rather than directly placing the structures may be the solution. If this is the answer, which part of the code should be modified? I modified the "Cf" variable in "FV_efg_calc.f90" file, but by far the results seem not different.
Secondly, can COULWAVE generate wave by movement of a wavemaker? I want to make a wave by movement of a wavemaker, but by far I have not found the code for the moving velocity of the wavemaker. Is this function implemented in COULWAVE?
Thanks for your reading. Your help will be sincerely appreciated.

Yongqian
Virginia Tech
yongqian

Return to COULWAVE User Discussions